Bloggers & Law, Internet Law, Legal Tips, M’sian Law News, E-commerce, Inspiring Stories… header image 2

Legal Aid Bureau in Malaysia (Biro Bantuan Guaman)

July 28th, 2008 · 11 Comments

As mentioned in my previous post, there are 2 major organisations providing free legal aid in Malaysia. One of them is the Legal Aid Bureau or Biro Bantuan Guaman.

The Biro Bantuan Guaman (BBG) is a governmental body under the Bahagian Hal Ehwal Undang-Undang, Jabatan Perdana Menteri (Legal Matters Division, Prime Minister’s Department) providing legal advice and help to deserving members of the public.

Like the Legal Aid Centre (LAC) run by the Malaysian Bar Council, the BBG provide FREE legal ADVICE and REPRESENTATION to individuals who pass their qualifying criteria. In addition, they also provide subsidised legal services, and if you do not qualify for this either, they still provide guidance.

They have branches in all states and federal territories in Malaysia and have a very informative website of their services (

Criminal / Syariah / Civil

The BBG will provide legal advice on all aspects of the law.

However, they only provide representation for certain types of cases (see

The main distinction between the BBG and LAC is that the BBG will only represent clients in criminal cases where the client pleads guilty to his or her charge. The exceptions to this are in small criminal offence (Kesalahan kecil jenayah) and child criminal (Jenayah kanak-kanak) cases.

Cases may be referred to the LAC or their external panel of lawyers – but the cost is borne by the BBG so long as clients meet their qualifying criteria and their cases fall under their scope of assistance.

What you should bring to a BBG branch:

You should carry the following documents when visiting a BBG branch:
1) Identity Card
2) Children’s identity cards / birth certificate (if applicable)
3) Marriage certificate (if applicable)
4) Divorce certificate / papers (if applicable)
5) Details of defendant (accused party) e.g., name, age, job, employer, etc.
6) Any other supporting and/or relevant documents

What happens after you walk into a BBG?

You will undergo a means test (see details below) and if successful, you will be required to pay a small registration fee of RM2.00 and fill up some forms at the premises. After the forms are submitted, an interview will be conducted to determine the full details of your case and actions that need to be taken thereon.

You will be required to sign a statutory declaration confirming your annual income is within the qualifying criteria set by BBG, and have this certified by a Commissioner of Oaths. Bear in mind that any applicants providing false information will be persecuted.

Means test

There are two main categories an applicant may fall into. Failing which, you can apply to the Director of BBG for a special exemption.

i. First category – Free Legal Aid
Applicants whose yearly income does not exceed RM25,000 (i.e. RM2,083 per month)

ii. Second category – Subsidised Legal Aid
Applicants whose yearly income is more than RM25,000 but does not exceed RM30,000 (i.e. RM2,500 per month).

iii. Special exemption
Applicants who do not qualify for the first or second category can apply for a special exemption to obtain legal aid with the approval from the ministry (Y.B. Menteri). This application is made through the Director of the BBG.

Where are the BBG located?

Address and contact details for BBG branches located nationwide are found at:

The official BBG website is:

Biro Bantuan Guaman KL Branch Tel No.: 03-2694 2700

(content extracted from the blog of

Tags: Legal Aid

11 responses so far ↓

  • 1 grace // Apr 3, 2009 at 12:13 am

    Good Day Mr Eddie,
    i am a law student in the first year.
    i have an assignment which require me to evaluate malaysia legal aid in 5000 words?
    i have no idea how to do and cant find any reference book.
    sO, I was planning to write on the comparison between legal aid bureau and legal aid centre.
    Can U give me details of legal aid bureau and legal aid centre.
    What are the differences?
    and finally, what are the improvements.

    hope u could help me.
    thank you very much.

  • 2 jamilya // Apr 10, 2009 at 1:56 pm

    Can you tell the address and phone number of the Malaysia Law Bureau or Juridical Bureau?

    Best regards, Jamiya

  • 3 Eddie Law // Jun 4, 2009 at 6:00 pm

    Sorry for late reply guys.

    Hi Grace – there are few main difference between legal aid bureau and legal aid centre.

    Legal Aid Bureau – is funded by government

    Legal Aid Centre – is funded by bar council

    Legal Aid Bureau – lawyers’ salary is paid by government

    Legal Aid Centre – lawyers help on voluntary basic

    Pls read my post about the scope of cases that they do

    Jamilya – i will blog about this.

  • 4 Eddie Law // Jun 5, 2009 at 10:47 am

    Jamilya- pls see the contact details of the legal aid center here

  • 5 Contact Directory of Legal Aid Center and Legal Aid Bureau in Malaysia // Jun 6, 2009 at 7:12 pm

    [...] As mentioned in my previous post, there are 2 places where the you can turn for free legal aid in Malaysia. There are Legal Aid Center and Legal Aid Bureau. [...]

  • 6 azlidda kamaludin // Jun 13, 2009 at 2:00 pm

    Dear Mr Eddie.

    My father has a problem. He is already 55 year and don’ have any job. A month ago his car is is being detained by a police because his passenger carry drug. Im not sure what drug it is..It not my father fault. He tried to get his car back but still cannot get it out from the police station. What should my father do to get his car back. Does he need get lawyer to settle the problem? And if he does, can he get help from Biro Bantuan Guaman to settle the problem?

    Best regards

  • 7 lisa // Jun 29, 2009 at 12:51 pm

    Good day.

    I’m new to this thing and I don’t know if I post my question to the right place.

    I hv problem. My relative own me 5oK since 2007 and hv refuse to pay back and now even refuse to answer any of my calls. He now work as an insurance agent wt Allianz Life Insurance. Can I ask his boss help to call him to meet me to discuss.

    I really need help and would appreciate if someone can help me. This prob hv become my headache coz banks hv been calling me and i cannot afford to pay as my hard earn monies stuck wt this person.

  • 8 David // Mar 26, 2010 at 6:53 am

    Currently a law student and it is always good to find a site that is concerned of the law everywhere. Great posts and keep it up!

  • 9 Izman Rozaidi // Mar 30, 2010 at 8:40 pm

    good day sir,
    may i ask-recently we dont have legal aid foundation in Malaysia.Can u give some opinion regarding do we need the legal aid foundation in Malaysia and what are the requirements if your opinion is ‘yes’
    thank you sir

  • 10 CHANDRA DEVI MANIAM // Sep 28, 2010 at 2:49 pm

    Dear Sir,
    I need your help… sister legally
    married 31 years ago but my bro-in-law left her in two years
    i.e around 29 years…….they were very cruel to her and she
    has been mentally tortured and just last year we heard that he’s dead and do you thing his property legally belongs to her.
    We need your help as the she has nothing from his family
    expect for the crueltly……….

  • 11 JUNARDI SAIMIN // Dec 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm

    Dear Mr Eddie,
    I just want to know the process of transfering land title and the total cost incurred .For yr info I settled my housing loan 2 yrs ago and the individual land title has been issued out and in the hand of my loan solicitor. For the transfering process they requested RM2400/=
    being payment to LHDN ,Land and Survey etc…
    PLs help…tqvm.

Leave a Comment

Disclaimer:Eddie Law is currently not involved in legal practise.This Site is provided for your information only to help you understand some of your legal rights. It should not be relied on as legal advice because it is not a substitute for an in person consultation with a lawyer. Nothing transmitted to or from this Site constitutes the establishment of an lawyer-client relationship between you or any lawyer. Eddie Law shall not be liable for any lost suffered by you as a result of relying on the information herein.